30.8.08

Daring Baker's Challenge - August 2008

Well, here I am - a daring baker! I dared to believe that I could make Chocolate Eclairs on a humid day in August and what do you know, I sorta nailed it!

In this challenge, we were inspired not only by our hosts - Meeta K and Tony Tahhan, but by their inspiration, Pierre Hermé. A lot of linking, I know, but it goes to show you that baking on the internet is baking nonetheless.

Anyways, back to me and my attempt. I decided to forgo the chocolate filling and stick with a traditional pastry cream, which I added some dark Colombian rum to along with the vanilla. I liked the addition of the rum because it disguised the otherwise eggy flavor of the pastry cream.

My chocolate glaze was not as successful, even with the addition of light corn syrup and some solidifiers (e.g. 1/2 TBSP cornstarch). Still, after a good chill in the freezer, it thickened up enough to do the trick and I think the bitterness of the syrup (because I didn't add a lot of sugar) complements the light sweetness of the cream and the slight egginess of the pate a choux.

And here they are in their dripping glory:




I'm actually alright with them being a little fat. I guess my next batch will be skinnier. A trip to Zabar's for the proper tools will be in order!

All in all, I'm glad that I was able to participate - stay tuned for more Daring Baker's challenges conquered by yours truly!

9 comments:

Mary said...

Oh Zabar's! How I miss thee.
Congrats on your first challenge..they look phenomenal!

Lunch Buckets said...

Not fat - FLUFFY! Welcome to the group :)

Brownie said...

Yummy! From one baking brunette to another, congrats on your first challenge! Mmm...that rum infused vanilla filling sounds great!

Katie said...

Yum! That is quite an accomplishment for your first challenge. They look wonderful!

Eat4Fun said...

Congratulations on completing your first DB Challenge! Good job!

Diane said...

I felt that the addition of the chocolate sauce weakened the glaze somehow. With my second batch I followed the recipe but omitted the sauce, hence ganache.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tip Diane, I'll remember that for the next time I try these! :)

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Welcome to the community.
Your eclairs are not too bad.
You'll find that as a DB, you'll have some good ones and some not so good ones.:)

Kirstynn Evans said...

The glaze was my problem too. I tried everything! I blame the hot humidity too! they were still yummy as heck though!