3.12.10

It was a birthday surprise.




As I settle into my new workplace, the debate on whether to be the "baker girl" or just someone who quietly bakes outside of work has raised itself in my mind. Yes, I have debates with myself on a regular basis. I decided I wouldn't be "baker girl," but if asked nicely, I would bake for my colleagues. Why not? It's a way to keep the chops...chopping?





Well, the baking chops were called upon for an impromptu surprise party for my boss and chocolate cupcakes were the ask. And there's nothing like a birthday than chocolate cake of some sort with a lovely, rich butter cream frosting. I mean, it's quintessential birthday fare, right?



As I knew that my previous dalliances with Chocolate Stout Cake were pleasant ones, I turned to SmittenKitchen for her modified Chocolate Stout Cake recipe. The amount of batter equals to two dozen regular cupcakes, or 48 mini-cupcakes. I used a regular cupcake tin.

As for the butter cream - here's my take on boozy butter cream:

Whiskey-Bailey's Buttercream

Ingredients

1 cup (2 sticks), room temperature unsalted butter
2 cups confectioner's sugar
2 tablespoons whiskey
1 tablespoon Bailey's

Directions

In a large bowl, cream the butter until it's light and fluffy. Add the confectioner's sugar gradually, beating the sugar into the butter. Add the whiskey and Bailey's. Continue to beat until the ingredients are well incorporated and the butter/sugar/alcohol mixture is double in volume. Makes about 2 1/2 cups.

I have to admit, my boss was really happy with the cupcakes. As were my colleagues - only crumbs remained.

No comments: